Wet weather can encourage an unwelcome growth to make its home in kitchens, bathrooms and sometimes whole living areas.
The culprit is mould, a living plant organism present in soil and dust, which is scattered by air currents or insect movements.
To be able to prosper on walls and ceilings, the mould or mildew spores need food and moisture which is generally present in dust and dirt on the surface.
Bathrooms and laundries often lack ventilation and have an excess of moisture - the main causes of mould growth.
According to SAPMA, the damage can be costly if mould is left to take a grip on painted surfaces, but removal of the growth for repainting is simple.
First, wash with a brush or sponge, using a solution of one cup of household bleach to nine cups of water.
Allow the solution to stay on the surface for a least 10 minutes before rinsing it off thoroughly with clean water. In very bad cases, two or more washings with the bleach solution may be necessary.
Allow the surface to dry completely and then, as an added protection, you may like to apply an anti-mould solution, available at most hardware stores.
When it is dry, paint the surface in the usual manner without washing off the anti-mould solution. You may also like to have a fungicidal additive mixed into the paint. This service is available from all good paint stockists.
[BACK TO NEWS]